Spanish travels for Gareth Hunt

My experience in Spain

by Gareth Hunt, GCLS

I was lucky enough to receive a scholarship from the University of La Rioja to study the Spanish language in Spain. I will always be grateful that Victoria and Sergio gave me this opportunity.

For those who do not know, the University of La Rioja is in Logroño, in the north of Spain. As I only started Spanish at university it meant that I had not yet been in a native Spanish speaking country. This was the best possible thing for my development and degree.

I went over there speaking Spanish very self-consciously with no confidence. However, six months later, I have returned an almost different person who does not try to hide when speaking.

I am understanding basically everything in class for the first time and really cannot put into words how much this has helped me. I hate to sound cliché, but it really has been eye-opening and life changing.

I am already planning to go back. That is my next goal. If anyone has the opportunity to go on an exchange, I highly recommend that you take it. You will surprise yourself.

If you are interested in Spain itself, I highly recommend that you go as well. The culture and people are amazing. If you love sleeping at lunch time and cheap alcohol, you are going to love it.

On a more serious note, if you are a lover of art, places with history, beautiful beaches, Spanish food, dancing flamenco, or even football fanatics, you will love it too. The country has so much to offer for all types of people.

Despite covid-19 hitting the country quite badly, I was able to have the time of my life. Which makes me think of how much better a fully healthy Spain would be. We will see.