Justin DeHart, Senior Lecturer in music performance celebrates third solo album

Justin DeHart, Senior Lecturer in music performance celebrates his third solo album, Landfall: New Zealand Percussion, Volume 1, released this month on Rattle Records featuring new compositions from NZ composers.

Landfall is the first volume in a forthcoming series of works for percussion instruments.

It features compositions by UC faculty Glenda Keam, Mark Menzies, and Reuben de Lautour alongside alumni Rosa Elliott and Robert Bryce, amongst other top NZ composers.

Justin adds “When I moved to Ōtautahi Christchurch in 2017,  I was excited to be a part of the rebuild of the city and to have the opportunity to build the first percussion programme in the country as a full-time percussion instructor.

I was inspired by the percussion music I discovered here—various Taonga pūoro, Phil Dadson and From Scratch, Strike Percussion, and music by Gareth Farr and John Psathas—to name just a few.

With this collection of new works, I hope to continue the tradition of promoting innovative percussion music made in Aotearoa New Zealand.”

There will be a limited number of CDs available and the digital album is available to purchase or stream online via Bandcamp and Spotify, etc.